Telling your partner that you would like a divorce will not be easy for them to hear. Coming to the decision to end your marriage was likely just as difficult for you. As much as you may like to resolve your issues peacefully, there is always a chance that it could turn into World War III. That is why you must prepare for what may lie ahead before you break the news to your spouse. This can not only protect you, but it can also make things go smoothly for the both of you.
- Be 100% Certain This Is What You Want. Once you tell your partner that you want a divorce you can never unsay those words. While you may be able to repair your marriage, you will not be able to force your partner to forget that at one point you were considering ending the marriage. Many couples have tried marriage counseling when they were on the brink of divorce and were able to save their marriage. If there is any hope of reconciliation, it would be wise to exhaust all your options before you tell your spouse it’s over.
- Find A Good Support System. Divorces can be tough on even the most resilient people. Having a good support system for the potential bumpy road that you are facing can be invaluable. Knowing that you can lean on your loved ones during this difficult time can help fight the feelings of uncertainty and loneliness that many people experience during their divorce.
- Prepare Your Financial Documents. Depending on the situation, your partner may not respond well to the news of your desire to get a divorce. They may make it difficult for you to break free and start anew. Gathering your financial documents before you talk to them about divorce can prevent them from limiting your access to bank records, tax filings, and bills. Also, opening a separate account and putting some money into it is a good idea, especially if you fear the spouse may close a joint account and take all the money.
- Find A Place To Live. If you are serious about ending your marriage, then you may need to separate from your partner. Figuring out your living situation beforehand will help you in the event things become contentious and you both can no longer reside in the marital home together. Having a backup plan in place can save you the expense and potential difficulty you may face scrambling last minute for a place to live.
- Talk With A Lawyer. Getting a divorce can affect many areas of your life. If not done carefully, then it may end up costing you a lot of money and time with your children. That is why you’ll want to talk to a lawyer beforehand to map out a strategy that will put you in the best position to get what you are entitled to and move on with your life in a positive direction.
Oklahoma Family Law Attorneys
It could be a nerve-wracking experience to break the news to your partner that you want out of the marriage. To avoid or mitigate this experience, you’ll want to be prepared by considering the foregoing information. Most importantly, it is recommended that you consult with an experienced family law attorney in Oklahoma City who can carefully guide you through this process. Not only will this ensure that you have someone fighting for your rights, but it will provide you peace of mind in knowing that a professional is taking care of the details with diligence and care.
With more than 17 years of experience, Inner Vision Legal is a leading family law firm who has meaningfully assisted clients regarding divorce, child custody, child support and more. Inner Vision Legal aims to obtain the best results for its clients and to provide quality legal services at a reasonable cost. Consult with the knowledgeable family law attorney at Inner Vision Legal by calling (405) 724-2525 or by contacting us online.